Members of The Southern California Striders Track Club are charged with contributing to an environment that makes participation in the sport of track and field a positive and rewarding experience. To achieve that result, each member has an obligation to make decisions based on the best interest of the club and its members. It is inconsistent with this obligation for any member to:
- Fail to follow the safety guidelines established by USA Track and Field, or otherwise knowingly subject a participant to unreasonable physical or emotional risk.
- Engage in conduct that is unsportsmanlike including, in particular, attempting to injure, disable or intentionally interfere with the preparation of a competitor.
- Engage in conduct toward another participant in the sport that is abusive or invades their privacy.
- Attempt to intimidate, embarrass or improperly influence club members.
- Discriminate against a member because of the member's race, sex, creed, sexual orientation, age, national origin or mental or physical disability.
- Engage in behavior that is so disorderly or inappropriate as to interfere with the orderly conduct of the club or other members' participation in, or enjoyment of, the activity or event.
- Share without permission any information deemed private or confidential.
It is the responsibility of each team member to honor the sport by demonstrating respect not only to other Striders but all track and field competitors. The Southern California Striders Track Club is dedicated to fairness, diversity, trust and mutual respect. A member of The Southern California Striders Track Club has a responsibility to uphold the integrity of the sport and the rules and regulations that govern it, and to act honestly, openly, fairly and competently. Membership in the club assumes acceptance of these principles.
Enforcement of the Code and Revocation of Membership
Compliance with this Code depends primarily upon understanding and voluntary compliance; secondarily upon reinforcement by peers; and, when necessary, upon enforcement through disciplinary action.
Revocation of membership may occur for violations of this Code; unsafe or disruptive behavior; disregard to coaching instructions which could put others at risk; consistent use of profane language and/or sexually inappropriate comments; or behavior that is unbecoming to sportsmanship or disrespectful to other athletes. Revocation of membership is by a two-thirds (2/3) vote of the entire board membership.
In the event membership is revoked, the applicant/member is entitled to appeal this decision to the Board of Directors; this appeal must be in writing.